£78 per person.
This ride takes in the highest single track trails in the UK. And in the unique arctic environment of the Cairngorms High Plateau. The route will be challenging including hike-a-bike climbs of up to an hour and long, loose rocky descents.
You will be able push yourself to ride in this terrain with peace of of mind, knowing that your guide knows all the trails, reads the weather and gives you tips to maximise your sense of adventure.
There are scheduled group rides, shown below.
And we offer Private Group Rides, starting from your accommodation, or near by, that can be booked on the ride calendar at Book Now.
- Sun, 29 MayBraemar
- Sun, 15 MayBraemar15 May 2022, 09:30 – 15:30Braemar, Braemar, Ballater AB35, UKAs you'd expect, a ride on the UK's second highest mountain is a challenging but spectacular day out. The ride reaches the highest point in the Cairngorms, Ben Macdui (1309m) and provides a view over Braeriach and Carn Toul to the west and Beinn A'Bhuird and Ben Avon to the east.
- Sun, 01 MayInvercauld Estate Carpark, Keiloch01 May 2022, 09:30 – 15:30Invercauld Estate Carpark, Keiloch, Invercauld Bridge, Ballater AB35 5XQ, UKThe Beinn A'Bhuird route is a classic single track descent from a Munro. From high on the Cairngorm plateau. with views of the highest peaks in Scotland, the route drops through the snow line, in to the the Caledonian Forest of Glen Quoich.
- Multiple DatesSat, 09 JulBallater Van Pick-up09 Jul 2022, 09:00 – 16:00Ballater Van Pick-up, Ballater AB35, UKThis is a unique opportunity to cross the High Cairngorms including Ben Macdui. A challenging crossing of the palteau is followed by one of the UK's longest descents. We'll transfer you from Ballater to the start rides start point in Aviemore.
- Multiple DatesSun, 12 JunBallater Van Pick-up12 Jun 2022, 09:00 – 16:00Ballater Van Pick-up, Ballater AB35, UKThis is a unique opportunity to cross the High Cairngorms including Ben Macdui. A challenging crossing of the palteau is followed by one of the UK's longest descents. We'll transfer you from Ballater to the start rides start point in Aviemore.
- Multiple DatesFri, 03 JunBallater Van Pick-up03 Jun 2022, 09:00 – 16:00Ballater Van Pick-up, Ballater AB35, UKThis is a unique opportunity to cross the High Cairngorms including Ben Macdui. A challenging crossing of the palteau is followed by one of the UK's longest descents. We'll transfer you from Ballater to the start rides start point in Aviemore.
Absolutely epic riding!
Hugo, Aberdeen, UK
Great Stuff. It was definitely one of those rides where I'm looking back on more fondly than the boggy single track deserves. Loved it though.
Dan, Aberdeen, UK.
All totally rideable! with a bit of help from Mike. Great day out.
Simon, Yorkshire, UK
Tours leave at 9.30 in the morning from the Fife Arms in Braemar. We will be out on the hill for between 5 and 8 hours.
We will spend some time discussing our objectives for the day, route planning and checking equipment.
The exact route we take will depend on the weather and trail conditions. But all options will take us in to the very heart of the Cairngorms, with the aim of reaching the summit of some of the highest mountains in the UK.
The route will require stream crossing, hike-a-bike (carrying your bike) and descent on rugged terrain.
BIKES & EQUIPMENT
This tour is for experienced mountain bikers, that ride their own bikes regularly.
If you have not brought your bike to Scotland, Macdui Bike Adventures provides modern, high specification mountain bikes. These are the Aeris 120's (AM7 equivalent) provided by Bird Cycle Works
Please fill out the bike sizing questions in the booking form to ensure you have the bike fits you perfectly. The minimum rider height is 4' 11" (150 cm).
CAN YOU DO IT?
This ride is for mountain bikers looking to challenge themselves - to extend their experience or ride in an unfamiliar terrain.
To be comfortable on this ride, you need to ride your bike regularly, 2-3 times a week for over an hour. You will have ridden red-graded natural trails and in trail centres comfortably.
Riders under 18 years old must be accompanied by a parent.
All you need to do is give as much information on the fitness, experience and preferences of your group to your guide in the booking form and before the day of your ride, and they will match the route to you.
WHAT TO BRING
Macdui Bike Adventures provides helmets and gloves. Your guide will carry all the spares and tools required to keep the group on the move.
It is recommended that riders are prepared to be self sufficient in this terain. Carrying with them spare clothing, waterproofs and basic tools, such as puncture kit, bike specific spares e.g. derailleur hangers.
Biking specific and hill walking specific clothing is highly recommended. Water, snacks and a lunch will be required, along with a simple survival bag. Spare clothing such as riding gloves and socks will make the ride more comfortable. For a view of the minimum equipment required have a look at our be prepared page.
Your guide will be in touch before the day of the ride to let you know the weather forecast any other kit you will need for activities along the way.
Your Macdui Bike Adventures Guide has lived and worked in Aberdeenshire for years. They ride this area all year round.
They are qualified to British Cycling and Scottish Cycling Level 3 Mountain leader and have Outdoor First Aid qualifications.
They will be able to tell you about the wildlife, history and geology of the sights you pass on your ride.